Skip to main content

On Beauty

I was sitting beside the pool the other day, and a most beautiful woman caught my attention.  There she stood, in her bathing suit, resting a tiny baby in her arms.  The baby perched contentedly on the protruding belly that had just created its life.  Beauty-- in the deepest, holiest way that I've ever seen.  I wanted to stare forever; and kept this woman in my heart for days.

This scene caused serious reflection for me.

We all agree that baby girls are beautiful and perfect in every way.  This adoration continues as we grow, through every stage of our changing body... but then we reach early adulthood, and what happens?   Quite suddenly, we halt the adoration of the continued growth and change and strive--- for the rest of our lives--- to achieve the young, thin, pre-maternal body.

I could not stop thinking about how fundamentally CRAZY we are as a society!  How crazy we are to miss the breathtaking beauty of a postpartum body- with stretched-out skin and worn-out breasts, and sleepy, baggy eyes.  The 45-year-old body, feeling tired of life's marathon, and yet, still hopeful of the possibilities ahead.  How absolutely crazy we are to overlook the beauty of the 60-year-old body!  Its edges softened by growth; innumerable acts of service and courage held in its hips and thighs.  And what about the body of a 75-year-old?  New pains now reveal the many sacrifices and stories written along the way.  I visualize the skin that hangs low from my 92-year-old grandmother's face, her wrinkles marking the sage wisdom held in her eyes, and I ask...

HOW IS THAT NOT ABSOLUTELY STUNNINGLY BEAUTIFUL?!?

It is pure insanity that we overlook ALL of it-- all of the beauty that is resplendent in every stage of growth in a woman's life-- simply trying to reach for one very narrow ideal.

It is shocking how irrational it is.
And yet, we all go on doing it.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What is it all For? (our musical journey)

In the nine years since I became a mother, I have often pondered the purpose of music in our mortal experience. In observing each of my children, it was apparent within the first few weeks of life that each newborn understood the language of music. Music calms and soothes them. Music enlivens and liberates them. Children and adults of all ages naturally connect with music, and express themselves through it.  We are all excited, liberated, and calmed by it. As a preschooler, Holden was especially drawn to musical notes, and began composing original melodies at three years old. When he was four years old he begged me to teach him how to play the piano. We began the beginner books together, and he LOVED it! As his abilities grew and his love for the instrument blossomed, and I began feeling pressure to find him a "real" teacher. After a highly recommended referral, we hired a young college student who was studying music at the university to come to our house once a week to t...

The Loss Is Not So Great

It is better as it is: I have failed but I can sleep; Though the pit I now am in is very dark and deep I can walk tomorrow's streets and can meet tomorrow's men Unashamed to face their gaze as I go to work again. I have lost the hope I had; in the dust are all my dreams, But my loss is not so great or so dreadful as it seems; I made my fight and though I failed I need not slink away For I do not have to fear what another man may say. They may call me over-bold, they may say that I was frail; They may tell I dared too much and was doomed at last to fail; They may talk my battle o'er and discuss it as they choose, But I did no brother wrong-- I'm the only one to lose. It is better as it is: I have kept my self-respect. I can walk tomorrow's streets meeting all men head erect. No man can charge his loss to a pledge I did not keep; I have no shame to regret: I have failed, but I can sleep. -Edgar A. Guest "The Loss Is Not So Great" When Day Is Done

She Who Walks Down My Street

From the place where I'm sitting, I hear her cane thumping long before she's in sight. I'm feeling busied, hurried, tired from many commitments in my day. I've sat down to rest but the sitting-still makes me feel antsy. I wish there were someone to sit-still with. I feel flustered about my kids being on their phones; so I pick up my phone and begin to scroll. I feel lonely, I feel mad. I wonder if I have the right to blame anyone but me. And then I hear the thumping. Thump, step, step. Thump, step, step. I instinctively lay my phone down as a salute of respect. She's walking. Just. Walking. She's not texting five people, watching a webinar, stressing about her teens on their phones, rotating laundry, feeling lost about running an organization, planning grocery lists for birthdays and campouts or endlessly wrestling with the state of her marriage. She's just walking. Thump, step, step. Thump, step, step. I can feel my breath moving in and out. My hands now em...