Skip to main content

Ignorance. What is the antidote?

I'm going to say one word.

But first, put down your weapons of war because it's not time to fight, it's time to think.

The word is Vaccinations.

They've been a topic of very passionate debate for over 200 years now, 

I am a Registered Nurse and a mom to 5 school-aged children.  I do have strong opinions on vaccines (and some may surprise you).  But you won't hear them here.
This is not an article on whether to vax or not.  

The recent hype about measles in NYC brings to the surface a problem significantly greater than vaccinations themselves.  
What is going on?

On April 9, 2019, NYC officials declared a public health emergency after almost 300 reported cases of measles.  They announced fines of up to $1000 if people disobey the mandatory vaccination order.  They are also asking parents to vaccinate babies as young as 6 months old, although the current recommended schedule does not propose the vaccine until the first birthday.  During a press conference in Williamsburg, Mayor Bill de Blasio declared that the measles outbreak is "very, very troubling and must be dealt this immediately."  

Fear based statements:
Twitter blew up with quotes such as "These two mothers are as much a threat to a safe & civilized society as domestic terrorists" and "CPS should have been called on them immediately"
"Measles make you sick-- why would you let someone suffer that knowing there's a potential you could die?" -Paul Offit, professor of pediatrics and director of the Vaccine Education Center at the Children's Hospital of Philadelphia   also..  "I feel like we are falling off a cliff in slow motion here.  It's always the children, and the weakest among us, who have to suffer our ignorance."


So if there is ignorance, which there undoubtedly is, let us EDUCATE.
Breathing fear into people is not the antidote to ignorance.
Using force and manipulation to control people is not the antidote to ignorance.  
Name calling and dehumanizing people is not the antidote to ignorance.

Education is the antidote to ignorance.  
So let's teach people about Measles.  What is it?  Is it serious?  Is it treatable?  What can one do to avoid it?
Let's teach people about the MMR vaccine.  What is it?  What are the benefits, and what are the potential complications?
If we want a less ignorant society, let's teach the whole story.

It's not the debate about Measles that worries me.  It's the absence of calm, responsible education.  It's the lack of respect for one's humanity, which includes the ability to learn and grow and to make decisions for one's own  family.  We cannot begin this dehumanizing process.  We MUST grant one another more grace than this.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What is it all For? (our musical journey)

In the nine years since I became a mother, I have often pondered the purpose of music in our mortal experience. In observing each of my children, it was apparent within the first few weeks of life that each newborn understood the language of music. Music calms and soothes them. Music enlivens and liberates them. Children and adults of all ages naturally connect with music, and express themselves through it.  We are all excited, liberated, and calmed by it. As a preschooler, Holden was especially drawn to musical notes, and began composing original melodies at three years old. When he was four years old he begged me to teach him how to play the piano. We began the beginner books together, and he LOVED it! As his abilities grew and his love for the instrument blossomed, and I began feeling pressure to find him a "real" teacher. After a highly recommended referral, we hired a young college student who was studying music at the university to come to our house once a week to t...

The Loss Is Not So Great

It is better as it is: I have failed but I can sleep; Though the pit I now am in is very dark and deep I can walk tomorrow's streets and can meet tomorrow's men Unashamed to face their gaze as I go to work again. I have lost the hope I had; in the dust are all my dreams, But my loss is not so great or so dreadful as it seems; I made my fight and though I failed I need not slink away For I do not have to fear what another man may say. They may call me over-bold, they may say that I was frail; They may tell I dared too much and was doomed at last to fail; They may talk my battle o'er and discuss it as they choose, But I did no brother wrong-- I'm the only one to lose. It is better as it is: I have kept my self-respect. I can walk tomorrow's streets meeting all men head erect. No man can charge his loss to a pledge I did not keep; I have no shame to regret: I have failed, but I can sleep. -Edgar A. Guest "The Loss Is Not So Great" When Day Is Done

She Who Walks Down My Street

From the place where I'm sitting, I hear her cane thumping long before she's in sight. I'm feeling busied, hurried, tired from many commitments in my day. I've sat down to rest but the sitting-still makes me feel antsy. I wish there were someone to sit-still with. I feel flustered about my kids being on their phones; so I pick up my phone and begin to scroll. I feel lonely, I feel mad. I wonder if I have the right to blame anyone but me. And then I hear the thumping. Thump, step, step. Thump, step, step. I instinctively lay my phone down as a salute of respect. She's walking. Just. Walking. She's not texting five people, watching a webinar, stressing about her teens on their phones, rotating laundry, feeling lost about running an organization, planning grocery lists for birthdays and campouts or endlessly wrestling with the state of her marriage. She's just walking. Thump, step, step. Thump, step, step. I can feel my breath moving in and out. My hands now em...