Skip to main content

Fun House

 Their doctrine does not feel kind.  In my core, it feels yucky.  Stagnant.  It makes me spin.  It makes me question myself.  In my uncertainty, I go nowhere.  I make zero progress.  I feel confused.  Worried.  Frightened.  Sad.

    I'm standing in a fun house.  On the outside there's happy music, colorful flowers, smiling faces.  It's so inviting.  Inside it's a maze of deceptive mirrors and alluring promises.  So much to love- it entices me everywhere.  With my head held high I try to move forward, but inevitably slam face first into mirrors that I didn't know were there.  BAM!

    I turn in another direction, moving a little slower this time and guarding my now aching head.  BAM!

    The force is intense, bruises forming on my forehead.  I begin to speak up.  I rally the leaders for help. I try to warn the people.  But no one does a thing.  Strangely, they all smile and nod.  "Yes."  Yes it hurts.  "Pain is all part of the process" they say with a smile.  "Stop making a fuss sweetie.  Just go invite more people."  They pat my head a few times as if I'm an adorable toddler.  Elevating my voice, I feel mad.  "But this place is HURTING people!  You're not listening to me!  We've GOT to change some things!"  They smile and nod condescendingly.

    Before long, I'm questioning my own sanity and asking myself if perhaps there's something wrong with me?  Maybe I deserve the pat on the head and condescending smile.  My posture continues to shrink.  My confident voice quivers.  If I can't trust myself, what else is there??

    I slide down the mirror and fall to my knees.  I'm watching from afar as they continue to collect admission fees.  In a steady stream, people file in.  They're looking for peace.  They're looking for truth.  They've found the fun house.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What is it all For? (our musical journey)

In the nine years since I became a mother, I have often pondered the purpose of music in our mortal experience. In observing each of my children, it was apparent within the first few weeks of life that each newborn understood the language of music. Music calms and soothes them. Music enlivens and liberates them. Children and adults of all ages naturally connect with music, and express themselves through it.  We are all excited, liberated, and calmed by it. As a preschooler, Holden was especially drawn to musical notes, and began composing original melodies at three years old. When he was four years old he begged me to teach him how to play the piano. We began the beginner books together, and he LOVED it! As his abilities grew and his love for the instrument blossomed, and I began feeling pressure to find him a "real" teacher. After a highly recommended referral, we hired a young college student who was studying music at the university to come to our house once a week to t...

The Loss Is Not So Great

It is better as it is: I have failed but I can sleep; Though the pit I now am in is very dark and deep I can walk tomorrow's streets and can meet tomorrow's men Unashamed to face their gaze as I go to work again. I have lost the hope I had; in the dust are all my dreams, But my loss is not so great or so dreadful as it seems; I made my fight and though I failed I need not slink away For I do not have to fear what another man may say. They may call me over-bold, they may say that I was frail; They may tell I dared too much and was doomed at last to fail; They may talk my battle o'er and discuss it as they choose, But I did no brother wrong-- I'm the only one to lose. It is better as it is: I have kept my self-respect. I can walk tomorrow's streets meeting all men head erect. No man can charge his loss to a pledge I did not keep; I have no shame to regret: I have failed, but I can sleep. -Edgar A. Guest "The Loss Is Not So Great" When Day Is Done

She Who Walks Down My Street

From the place where I'm sitting, I hear her cane thumping long before she's in sight. I'm feeling busied, hurried, tired from many commitments in my day. I've sat down to rest but the sitting-still makes me feel antsy. I wish there were someone to sit-still with. I feel flustered about my kids being on their phones; so I pick up my phone and begin to scroll. I feel lonely, I feel mad. I wonder if I have the right to blame anyone but me. And then I hear the thumping. Thump, step, step. Thump, step, step. I instinctively lay my phone down as a salute of respect. She's walking. Just. Walking. She's not texting five people, watching a webinar, stressing about her teens on their phones, rotating laundry, feeling lost about running an organization, planning grocery lists for birthdays and campouts or endlessly wrestling with the state of her marriage. She's just walking. Thump, step, step. Thump, step, step. I can feel my breath moving in and out. My hands now em...