Skip to main content

It is THAT important!

“I don’t know how you do it.”  I hear this statement (question?) from women all the time.  What I hear them asking is, “how do you live with so much peace and calm and joy?”  (while a full-time homeschool mom to five kids, wife of an ambitious entrepreneur, working as a nurse and youth leader and all the other things).  “How do you find time for yourself?”

After thinking about this question for years on end, I have finally got an answer.  The answer to how I take care of myself as a woman is easy:  I meditate and pray.  I assign my youngest out to the care of others so that I can exercise alone.  I pursue topics that fascinate me.  I set goals for myself and enjoy the challenge of achieving them.  I think back to what I did for fun when I was single, and I DO IT!

But there is a real problem here: that answer doesn’t solve the dilemma for anybody.  Women, both with and without children, are still perplexed (and sometimes irritated) with the idea of self-love, self-compassion, and self-prioritization, even given my quick and easy solution.  The struggle continues because… the wrong question is being asked.  It turns out, women don’t need to know how I actually go about doing it.

The more definitive question would be, “why?”

I grew up in the care of a deeply loving mother.  She was the product of a broken home where she was not provided a model of parenting that met her standards.  And so, when she became a mother herself, she gritted her teeth and gave her all.  Quitting her job, giving up her own ambitions and dreams, she became only “Mother”.  Even sleep became secondary to adorable birthday cakes, neighborhood preschools, incredible Halloween costumes made to order, Girls Scout cookies and badges, service in the classroom and church, play-dates, sports teams, piano lessons, and hand-sewn matching clothing for the whole family.  We, of course, took advantage of all that was offered, leaving in the end, only a shadow of a woman we called Mom.  When the door closed at the end of each day, all that was left was a hollow frame.  She was exhausted.  Unfulfilled.  Angry.  Overwhelmed.  Depressed.  Resentful.  The mental hospital became the only place she could go for respite.  I don’t have a single memory of my mom laughing.

I am grateful for this experience.  Deeper-than-words grateful.  Because of where I came from, I feel surer than ever that, as a woman, an individual, I matter.  Just like every other mother on this earth, I want my children to have a great childhood and grow up to be successful, joyful adults.  This is why I prioritize time for myself.

I prioritize time for myself, because I know that when I am well rested, I am more patient and kind.
When I exercise my body first, I have the energy to physically engage in their active lives.  
When I prioritize time for connection with God, I open the door for grace to light my way.  
When I make time to study my own topics of interest, I am mentally available to hear about theirs.  
When I eat what I want to eat, resentment doesn't follow me to the dinner table.  
When I play regularly in a way that feels fun to me, it is easier to play in a way that feels fun to them.  
I am the integral part of the livelihood of our family.  I am that important.

Our children become who we are.  More than anything, I want to raise empowered adults who take ownership of their own happiness.  And so, I must teach them about boundaries.  I must be a model of someone who says YES to things that matter most, and NO to things that don’t.  I must teach them that they are ultimately responsible to create the life they dream of.  That it is not anyone else’s responsibility to do this, nor is it reasonable to expect that.  I must teach that selfless sacrifice is a vital trait of a loving parent, AND that it does not have to be at the expense of one’s own joy.  I teach my children these things by clearly setting the example for them.  It’s worth carving out time for.  It’s worth making a way!

I see nobility in the call to motherhood and I feel great reverence for its importance.  With the endless to-do lists that accompany family life, for what sake am I willing to keep honoring me as my top priority?  For the sake of the highest aspirations that I hold for myself, and the dreams I have for my children and my grandchildren.  For my sake, and for their sake.  That is why I do it.  It is that important.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What is it all For? (our musical journey)

In the nine years since I became a mother, I have often pondered the purpose of music in our mortal experience. In observing each of my children, it was apparent within the first few weeks of life that each newborn understood the language of music. Music calms and soothes them. Music enlivens and liberates them. Children and adults of all ages naturally connect with music, and express themselves through it.  We are all excited, liberated, and calmed by it. As a preschooler, Holden was especially drawn to musical notes, and began composing original melodies at three years old. When he was four years old he begged me to teach him how to play the piano. We began the beginner books together, and he LOVED it! As his abilities grew and his love for the instrument blossomed, and I began feeling pressure to find him a "real" teacher. After a highly recommended referral, we hired a young college student who was studying music at the university to come to our house once a week to t...

The Loss Is Not So Great

It is better as it is: I have failed but I can sleep; Though the pit I now am in is very dark and deep I can walk tomorrow's streets and can meet tomorrow's men Unashamed to face their gaze as I go to work again. I have lost the hope I had; in the dust are all my dreams, But my loss is not so great or so dreadful as it seems; I made my fight and though I failed I need not slink away For I do not have to fear what another man may say. They may call me over-bold, they may say that I was frail; They may tell I dared too much and was doomed at last to fail; They may talk my battle o'er and discuss it as they choose, But I did no brother wrong-- I'm the only one to lose. It is better as it is: I have kept my self-respect. I can walk tomorrow's streets meeting all men head erect. No man can charge his loss to a pledge I did not keep; I have no shame to regret: I have failed, but I can sleep. -Edgar A. Guest "The Loss Is Not So Great" When Day Is Done

She Who Walks Down My Street

From the place where I'm sitting, I hear her cane thumping long before she's in sight. I'm feeling busied, hurried, tired from many commitments in my day. I've sat down to rest but the sitting-still makes me feel antsy. I wish there were someone to sit-still with. I feel flustered about my kids being on their phones; so I pick up my phone and begin to scroll. I feel lonely, I feel mad. I wonder if I have the right to blame anyone but me. And then I hear the thumping. Thump, step, step. Thump, step, step. I instinctively lay my phone down as a salute of respect. She's walking. Just. Walking. She's not texting five people, watching a webinar, stressing about her teens on their phones, rotating laundry, feeling lost about running an organization, planning grocery lists for birthdays and campouts or endlessly wrestling with the state of her marriage. She's just walking. Thump, step, step. Thump, step, step. I can feel my breath moving in and out. My hands now em...